Three pairs of shoes on a doorstep - one men's pair, one ladies' pair and one child's pair.

Your tenancy

Find out all you need to know about living in a Futures home

  • You can find the answers to all our frequently asked questions about your home and tenancy on the Help Hub - collated by our expert teams to make sure you've got the information you need. 

Our tenancy agreements explain everything we are responsible for and everything our customers are responsible for. Find out more in the links below, together with useful forms if you want to make some changes.

The Help Hub
Want someone else to represent you?
Want someone to inherit your tenancy?
Want to buy your home?
Moving out
Ending a tenancy when someone has died
Outstanding rent when you leave

We've got lots of information about your home and tenancy on the Help Hub based on your frequently asked questions. 

Click here to find your answer

You can authorise someone else to talk to us about aspects of your tenancy. Print off and fill in this form then return it to us:

Letter of authority

Post your completed form to:

Customer Services Team
Innovation House
Coniston Court
NE24 9FQ

You may be able to assign someone else to inherit your tenancy if you die. This is called succession of tenancy.

A right to inherit a tenancy depends on:

  • the person's relationship with the tenant
  • the type of tenancy they had
  • when the tenancy started
  • if there has previously been an Assignment of Tenancy.

If you inherit a tenancy, it will be on the same terms and conditions. We may ask you for proof of who you are, your relationship with the tenant who died and how long you had lived with them.

Joint tenants

If you hold a joint tenancy with someone who has passed away - you automatically become the sole tenant - this is known as survivorship.

A joint tenant takes priority over anyone else's claim to inherit the tenancy.

Who can inherit the tenancy

A husband, wife or civil partner will always take priority over anyone else, unless it is a joint tenancy. In this case the tenancy continues in the name of the other joint tenant. If there is a choice between qualifying relatives, you will need to decide among yourselves who inherits the tenancy.

You will need to provide us with some identification (passport, driving license or bus pass for example) and prove you have lived at the property with the tenant for the previous 12 months. You can do this with documents such as a council tax bill, utility bill or benefit award letter.

If you're thinking about buying your home, you may be eligible for the Government's Right to Buy scheme.

Find out more here

If you move home you need to end your tenancy with us by:

  • giving us four weeks' notice, either in writing or over the phone
  • ending your tenancy on a Sunday
  • completing our End of tenancy form. You can also get this from our Customer Services team
  • arranging to clear the property and return the keys.

When you end your tenancy we will:

  • give you a receipt for the notice that you provide
  • write to confirm that we have received this and confirm the date when your tenancy ends
  • tell you how much rent you need to pay to clear your account
  • send you an end of tenancy survey to complete
  • arrange to inspect your home before you leave.

If you need to end a tenancy on behalf of a relative or friend, please contact us.

We understand that losing a friend or relative is difficult, but we can help to guide you through what you need to do about their Futures home when the time comes.

  • If you are ending a tenancy on behalf of a relative who has died, you will need to complete the End of tenancy form or call us on 0300 456 2531.
  • Once we have been informed, you will have four weeks to clear the property. Rent is payable until the end of this period.
  • If the relative was claiming housing benefit, then the benefit will end from the Sunday after they day they died. 
  • We will also need a copy of the death certificate to end the tenancy.

If you still owe us rent when you leave a Futures home we will contact you and explain how to clear the debt. Please read our Former tenant arrears FAQs for more information.

Google translate Google translate
click to choose
Colour contrast Contrast
Font size Text size