We can help if you are experiencing unsocial behaviour in your home. This includes problems with:
• neglected properties or gardens
• fly-tipping or rubbish
• vehicles or parking.
Before you contact us
In most cases there are things you can do to help resolve the issue yourself.
Sometimes, people simply don’t realise they are behaving in an unsocial way or being un-neighbourly. Try and talk to your neighbour when the issue first arises and explain how what they are doing is affecting you.
• Don’t speak to them about the issue when you’re feeling angry or upset
• Choose a time that’s best for everyone
• Plan what you’re going to say, before you say it
• Talk face-to-face if possible
• Be clear about what the problem is, the impact it is having on you and how you think it could be resolved
• Stay calm, polite and pleasant
• Be prepared to listen to their side of the story
• Try to come to an agreement that everyone is happy with
• Don’t put yourself at risk. Leave straight away if people are aggressive or threatening
• If you don’t feel confident talking to your neighbour or it's difficult to find a time when you’re both in, download our “Dear neighbour” template here. Change the text in yellow to relate to your situation and pop it through their letterbox.
If you’ve tried talking to your neighbour and can't reach an agreement, you can tell us to see what we can do to help. You can also tell us about anything else that’s happening in your neighbourhood.
It may be that we’re not the best people to help you with your issue. We may suggest you talk to your local council or another organisation and we’ll work with them to support you.
Please tell us:
• What has happened (who, when, where, what and why)
• The impact of the crime or unsocial behaviour
• Your report to the police or other agencies and any agreed next steps
• How you’d like us to contact you
We work with the police and other agencies based on the information you’ve given us to help ensure safety and a joined-up response where criminal activity is taking place.