Close up shot of the top of fenceposts, blurring into the distance

Antisocial behaviour

What to do when other people's behaviour causes problems

We can help if you are experiencing antisocial behaviour in or around your home. This includes problems with:

  • noise
  • animals and pets
  • neglected properties or gardens
  • fly-tipping or rubbish
  • boundaries.

If someone is threating you or another person or you see a crime being committed, you should ring the police. Call 999 in an emergency or 101 if it's not an emergency.

Read our antisocial behaviour policy here.

We're proud to be part of the local Community Safety Partnership in Derbyshire. Click here for more information and to see how the partnership can help. 

Before you contact us

In most cases there are things you can do to help resolve the issue yourself. See our tips and advice below on how to approach this.

Visit the Help Hub
It's good to talk
If talking doesn't work
Noise disturbances
Community trigger

We've compiled information about the most common complaints we receive and how is best to manage them. Visit the Help Hub to search your query and find out more.

Click here to go to the Help Hub

Sometimes, people simply don’t realise they are behaving in an antisocial way or being un-neighbourly. Try and talk to your neighbour when the issue first arises and explain how what they are doing is affecting you.

Top tips

  • Don’t speak to them about the issue when you’re feeling angry or upset.
  • Choose a time that’s best for everyone
  • Plan what you’re going to say, before you say it.
  • Talk face-to-face if possible.
  • Be clear about what the problem is, how it is affecting you how you think it could be resolved.
  • Stay calm, polite and pleasant.
  • Be prepared to listen to their side of the story.
  • Try to come to an agreement that everyone is happy with.
  • Don’t put yourself at risk. Leave straight away if people are aggressive or threatening.
  • If you don’t feel confident talking to your neighbour or it's difficult to find a time when you’re both in, download our 'Dear neighbour' template here. Change the text in yellow to relate to your situation and pop it through their letterbox. 

If you’ve tried talking to your neighbour and can't reach an agreement, you can tell us to see what we can do to help. You can also tell us about anything else that’s happening in your neighbourhood.

It may be that we’re not the best people to help you with your issue. We may suggest you talk to your local council or another organisation and we’ll work with them to support you.

Please tell us:

  • What has happened (who, when, where, what and why).
  • How the crime or antisocial behaviour has affected you.
  • About any contact you have had with the police or other agencies and any agreed next steps.
  • How you’d like us to contact you.

We work with the police and other agencies based on the information you’ve given us to help ensure safety and a joined-up response where criminal activity is taking place.

If you've reported a noise disturbance to us, you might be asked to download The Noise App, which will allow you to record the issue so we can hear what you're hearing. Please don't try to submit any recordings unless you've been asked to by your investigating officer.

If you've been asked to download The Noise App, you can find our user guide by clicking the button below:

The Noise App user guide

Responding to, and tackling, anti-social behaviour is a priority for all community safety partners in Derbyshire.  Futures Housing Group is part of Derbyshire Community Safety Partnership, which brings organisations together to enable us to bring to justice those causing anti-social behaviour and provide support for people affected by it.

Futures always strives to provide a high level of service, but recognise that there may be times when, we don’t get it right.  This is where the Community Trigger comes in.

Find out more


I want to report anti-social behaviour

We are asking for personal information so we can investigate the issue and contact you for more information if needed. This will also mean we can provide you with updates. The details you provide here will only be used to contact you directly about the issue and will not be shared with the person/people you are reporting.

You may choose not to provide personal information when submitting this form. We will not be able to contact you for further information or to provide an update if this is the case, but will do our best to resolve the issue with the details you’ve supplied.

To find out about how we manage your personal data, take a look at our privacy notice.

Google translate Google translate
click to choose
Colour contrast Contrast
Font size Text size