Broken stem of a wine glass on a table

Why do I need home contents insurance?

16 October 2020

As a landlord, we know how important your home is to you and how valuable your possessions are. That's why we advise customers to take out home contents insurance to protect personal possessions. Although we are responsible for some of the repairs and maintenance of your home, we’re not responsible for the personal items in it.

Home contents insurance provides cover for your belongings if they are damaged in some way, for example because of a fire or flood, or if they’re stolen. Items like gadgets, phones, tablets and computers, as well as furniture, carpets, bikes and jewellery can be covered.

Although home contents insurance isn't essential, it’s a good idea if you have valuable belongings. To help you decide whether home contents insurance is right for you, we have teamed up with Thistle Tenant Risks, and Ageas Insurance Limited who provide the My Home Contents Insurance Scheme, a specialist tenants’ contents insurance policy.

If you want to find out more:

  • ask your local housing officer for an application pack
  • call Thistle Tenant Risks on 0345 450 7288
  • visit for more information or to request a call back.
The National Housing Federation is an appointed representative of Thistle Insurance Services Ltd. Thistle Insurance Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority FRN 310419. Registered in England under No. 00338645. Registered office: Rossington’s Business Park, West Carr Road, Retford, Nottinghamshire, DN22 7SW. Thistle Insurance Services Ltd is part of the PIB Group.
You can read Thistle Insurance Services Ltd's data protection privacy policy at


Google translate Google translate
click to choose
Colour contrast Contrast
Font size Text size